Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Update on the Prinia nests

It was heartbreaking to see the nest on Sunday morning devoid of any eggs or the bird. The day before I noticed a Treepie sitting on a branch of the nearby coconut tree very close to the nest. It probably discovered the nest and the eggs. Too much winds might have exposed the nest. I found only three eggs that evening. The bird was in the nest though on Saturday night incubating her eggs. However on Sunday morning none of the eggs were there. The bird was missing too. Maybe some predator harvested the eggs. Both the Treepie and the chipmunk are capable of this as both consume the eggs of other birds. If only I had laid some thorny shrubs around the nest probably I could have saved the remaining eggs. I thought they were only days away from hatching. What a sight that would have been!

The good news is that the three eggs in the Prinia's nest at Sathish's home have hatched. They might have hatched on Sunday or Monday. No sound can be heard but I could see the tiny little ones open their mouths for food. What a sight! It was like seeing God. Mommy bird is busy looking after the newborn. Wonder how many will make it. The nest is so secure that it is very difficult to take a good picture. If I am able to take a pic I will post it here.

No comments: