Sunday, November 23, 2008

Adobe Reader 9 has a bug while installing

Since I was using Adobe Reader 7 I thought I would upgrade. So I check www.filehippo.com and Adobe Reader 9 is one of the top 10 downloads there. I download the file, unistall my current version and then install the new one. But things don't go right. The application does install but the wizard just hangs there saying 99.0% complete. If you click the Finish button you may see the Microsoft very familiar "Blue Screen of Death" for a fraction of a second and the system will boot as it happened to me today.

When the system is back on you will notice that Adobe Reader 9 has been installed but you will be surprised to see that it does not appear in the "Add or Remove Programs" dialog under Start->Settings->Control Panel. Surprisingly it didn't show up in my Revo Uninstaller program too. Trying to do another install will give you the same results as before.

So I deleted the folder (as I installed it on my E: drive which is not my system drive) and then ran freeware Eusing Registry cleaner and fixed the registry.

I checked Adobe's site and they seem to offer the same download as "filehippo".

Simply got the old executable and re-installed Adobe Reader 7 without any hassles.

Let me know if you had the same problem.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Then just install foxit reader, a freeware which is quite compact compared to adobe reader which is a bloatware.